Notifications
Clear all

Acne Back After Dianette And Roaccutane

MemberMember
(@marielondon)

Posted : 10/27/2014 4:13 pm

I have had acne since I was 13, I'm now 22 years old. I have been on the dianette contraceptive pill since I was around 16 years old to make my skin produce less oil. It worked for a while and eventually after years of trying everything, I was referred to the dermatologist and put on roaccutane for 5 months. After the fourth month my skin was completely clear and has stayed like that for the past two and half years. The dermatologist told me to stay on dianette as it will continue to help my progress. I recently ran out of dianette pills so went to my dr who is now refusing to give me anymore and says I have been on it for too long (risk of blood clots etc) and it shouldn't be used long term and switched me to a different pill (levest) This was in August and my skin has just gone crazy. My acne is back worse than I ever had and I wake up with the most oily skin.

I feel so depressed as I thought I had sorted my skin problems and now feel depressed and have lost all confidence again. It makes me not want to leave the house.

Anyway I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I'm not quite sure what to ask for. Whether to beg to go back on dianette or to be referred back to the dermatologist for a second course of accutane. Unfortunately the waiting list can be up to 12weeks long :(

Any advice/ your own stories would be be appreciated. Feeling very down about the state of my face at the moment

Xx

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/27/2014 4:36 pm

I have used accutane 3 times and like you, i was clear for about 2 years each time. If accutane does not keep you clear the first time, it may be time to look into diet/lifestyle changes which may include cutting out and adding foods/supplements, etc, reducing stress, exercising, etc.

While you do this, you may want to revisit topicals. Give it 12 weeks and that should take you into your derm appt if things don't work out.

Keep positive

MemberMember
(@3wishes14)

Posted : 10/29/2014 2:11 pm

I have had acne since I was 13, I'm now 22 years old. I have been on the dianette contraceptive pill since I was around 16 years old to make my skin produce less oil. It worked for a while and eventually after years of trying everything, I was referred to the dermatologist and put on roaccutane for 5 months. After the fourth month my skin was completely clear and has stayed like that for the past two and half years. The dermatologist told me to stay on dianette as it will continue to help my progress. I recently ran out of dianette pills so went to my dr who is now refusing to give me anymore and says I have been on it for too long (risk of blood clots etc) and it shouldn't be used long term and switched me to a different pill (levest) This was in August and my skin has just gone crazy. My acne is back worse than I ever had and I wake up with the most oily skin.

I feel so depressed as I thought I had sorted my skin problems and now feel depressed and have lost all confidence again. It makes me not want to leave the house.

Anyway I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I'm not quite sure what to ask for. Whether to beg to go back on dianette or to be referred back to the dermatologist for a second course of accutane. Unfortunately the waiting list can be up to 12weeks long

Any advice/ your own stories would be be appreciated. Feeling very down about the state of my face at the moment

Xx

I'm in exactly the same position as you. I've seen 3 different dr's in my surgery and none of them have referred me to a derm for a 2nd round of roaccutane 🙁 They seem reluctant to do it and keep saying to try other things as skin responds "better" to treatments after roaccutane- not sure I believe this. I'm now back on antibiotics and in a few months i'm going to switch my pill back to Dianette. I'm contemplating going back to dr's and literally begging for a derm referral. You're not alone, good luck!